BORN FREE'S CHRISTMAS GIFT GUIDE
Tis the season to be jolly! Born Free's Hitesh Patel presents some handy tips on how to shop ethically this Christmas
Shopping ethically can be tough at the best of times, never mind with the pressure and rush around Christmas. So how can we all make this a little bit easier, saving time, money and also helping the environment?
- Be creative – Why not make some gifts? It can be fun, involve the kids, it’s personal and will certainly be appreciated by the people you gift
- Gift an experience – Why not buy an experience for the family that you can all do together? Foraging, forest walks, pottery class or visiting a gallery
- When packaging your gifts, consider using more string and less tape, and cards and wrapping paper that can be recycled
- Consider carefully who you are buying for and whether the gift will actually be used. Unwanted gifts are a drain on our planet’s resources
- Do more research into the ethics, values and sustainability policies of companies that produce the items you wish to buy. Consider the carbon footprint, the materials used and the quality of the item
- Second hand or upcycled items can sometimes be more thoughtful and have a greater sense of meaning than buying brand new
- Give a gift that gives twice! Born Free's adoptions help fund the protection of wild animals in their natural habitat, or wild animals that have been rescued from appalling captive conditions. Not only do they make a great gift, you're also helping Born Free's vital work
- Support your local high street. Independent business owners struggle against the might of the internet. Whilst convenience and price is often the reason we shop online, shopping locally will give you a sense of community
- If you do shop online, consider fundraising platforms such as Amazon Smile or Give As You Live which donate a percentage of sales to the charity of your choice – including Born Free
- Visit Born Free’s recently relaunched online shop for an exclusive range of products that will make the perfect gift for animal lovers everywhere. By shopping with Born Free, you’re helping Keep Wildlife in the Wild
- Consider buying products that benefit Born Free. They are carefully chosen retailers who share our values and want to donate a percentage of sales or profits.