Born Free Foundation - Keep Wildlife in the Wild


Written by Martin Miritiawo


This month we did much work on our enclosures, cleaning the camps inside and outside with the help of Glen. Inside we cleaned and filled all the water troughs picking up the faeces and bones. And on the outside trimming the bushes along the enclosures and the walk ways.

Brutus, rescued from a French circus in 2008 and Marina, rescued from Romania and transferred to Shamwari in 2008

Not much has been happening with Brutus and Marina. They are usually only seen resting during the day in the shade, grooming and rubbing against each other. A full roar from them begins late afternoon with a series of grunts, building in volume and length, and Jools, James and Shada will join in to form one big choir.
One of the days I was checking on them when I saw Marina walking behind Brutus and slapping him with a paw on the rump, as if she was trying to get him to lie down. Brutus ignored her and after he failed to become submissive she went and sat down. Finally Marina rolled onto his back, playing with him.  She seemed so excited by what she was doing.

Brutus and Marina

Shada, rescued from a French circus in 2006

She is doing pretty well but with minimum movements these days. She still
spends more time at the bottom right corner of her enclosure, close to the fence.
Sometimes when we approach her she stalks us, stopping to lie down on the
ground with her head flat on the ground, or she walks along the fence following
us at a distance. Shada looks healthy and enjoys her food.



Kuma, rescued from Abidjan Zoo in Ivory Coast in March 1999

Kuma appears relaxed and comfortable in his enclosure as he is using the whole enclosure. In the morning you see Kuma at the top or in the middle of his camp and in the afternoon you see him just behind the jungle gym or sitting close to the viewing platform. He is not hiding himself a lot. I think he is out in the open more because of this cool weather.

Leda and Rhea, rescued from Limassol Zoo in Cyprus in June 2009

Leda, the mother, looks well although, at 21 year old, she is advanced in years.She is doing fine and I think she is happy because she has freedom to do wantshe wants. If she feels like going to the hospital camp she can, and sleeps on top or inside the kennel. And in the main camp she can go either inside the shelter or sleep in the bushes. She no longer has to be shut in her hospital camp for periods, as we had to do initially. The ‘jungle gym’ is her favourate spot especially when she wants her food. She stands there looking towards the main road for the vehicle bringing the food. The moment she sees it coming she gets down and runs towards the fence, waiting for us to poke her food through.
Rhea, Leda’s daughter, she also seems to enjoy herself in her enclosureespecially at the top of her enclosure. During feeding she comes down to thehospital camp to get her food. Well, she doesn’t show any signs of being inseason or trying to socialize or interact with Leda like what she used to do withthe sister, mewing at her sometimes.


Jools and Jerry, rescued from Buhusi Zoo in Romania in 2007

Jools and her son Jerry like each other very much, they hang around each other most of the time. The separation comes when feeding. They do not fight over food, but they split themselves when around food and reunite again when they are done. 16 year old Jools is not showing any signs of being in season and she is looking good. Jerry is also doing well, he looks very handsome and well fed, guests really like him. They look so happy together especially when they groom and rub against each other.

Jools and Jerry

Julie Ward Centre Diary

Born Free Foundation
Broadlands Business Campus, Langhurstwood Road
, Horsham, RH12 4QP, UK - Charity Reg. No. 1070906

Share | |